2.05.2012

Star Designs

“I don't expect to fit in right away but I do sense that the fashion world is rooting for me, too. I'm not being treated like a celebrity wannabe fashion designer. But even if I was, it doesn't really matter because I'm doing this for me ... but it does feel really good when you have a hit.”
                                                               -Gwen Stefani

More than ever before, Hollywood is full of actors turned singers turned fashion designers who have a fragrance, clothing line, or both,  and it almost seems farcical. All laughing aside, there are a select few who are passionately involved in what they tag their name onto and take their businesses seriously. Among those few are Katie Holmes, Jeanne Yang, and Gwen Stefani.

Katie Holmes and stylist Jeanne Yang realized they both enjoyed sewing as a hobby and collaborated to form Holmes & Yang, a women's clothing collection. Yang said, "It’s so rare, unfortunately, that I actually know people who are into crafting and doing stuff like that." They design sophisticated clothes with a few simple priorities: use luxurious fabrics, design to fit perfectly, pay careful attention to detail, and have everything made close to home in the USA. One of my favorite items from Holmes & Yang is a beautifully-crafted, trimmed trench coat available at Barneys New York. It is structured, has just the right amount of detail, and would look flattering on any woman. Katie spoke of the versatility of the collection when saying, "We just wanted to do comfortable clothes that you can wear going from a meeting to being a mom to going on a date." What more could a girl ask for?

L.A.M.B. is Gwen Stefani's clothing line inspired by her own personal style- a mix of old Hollywood glamour and modern street wear. You might call it rocker chic. L.A.M.B. designs are sold in many stores around the world including a few in Kansas. Like Holmes and Yang, Stefani has a past history of sewing. She said, "I'd peg the pants and cut the shirts. My room was always a sewing disaster. I'm not a great technical sewer but I had the ideas. I'd use Velcro instead of zippers because they were easier to do."

It has been unseasonably warm in Kansas this winter and it almost feels like spring. The mild weather inspired me to make a reversible tank and pleated poplin skirt. I far prefer spring and summer clothing to cold-weather attire, so I'm excited to create more summer looks in the upcoming months.








MADE IN KANSAS